This week we’re dipping our toes into the field of Social Psychology by exploring the concept of conformity. What is it? What do we risk if we don’t conform? And what are some social structures that influence us into conforming? Tune in to hear our conversation and remember to check out our website (www.thesocialbreakdown.com) for more sources and articles on this topic!
conformity, social psychology, micro-sociology
- Elliot Aronson’s The Social Animal
- Soloman Asch’s 1950’s Conformity Experiment and here’s some good video footage!
- Deutsch and Gerard (1955) article, “A study of normative and informational social influences upon individual judgment”
- A more recent article from Stanley Milgrim on “Nationality and Conformity” in the Scientific American
- A great example of social conformity in action from the TV show, “Brain Games”