The Social Breakdown team is at it again! This time we’re talking about the myths of the model minority. It’s important to break down this myth, because we live in a world of identity politics where we fight over who gets to speak for whom and how we represent ourselves within institutions. Who is the model minority, and how did this term come to be? What social pressures defy or reproduce stereotypes? And what problems does this myth create for other people of color? Join us in our conversation on the model minority and the taken-for-granted notions of this myth. We have our eyes on you, Silicon Valley!
model minority, tokenism, upward mobility
- History of term ‘model minority’
- The Professional Burdens of Being a ‘Model Minority’
- Why Do Democrats Feel Sorry for Hillary Clinton?
- The real secret to Asian American success was not education
- ‘Model Minority’ Myth Again Used As A Racial Wedge Between Asians And Blacks
- Silicon Valley’s Forgotten Minority
- Jay Z & Kanye West – Murder to Excellence lyrics
- How Trump’s latest affirmative action move uses the Asian “model minority” as a prop
- Suicide among Asian-Americans
- No Longer Separate, Not Yet Equal: Race and Class in Elite College Admission and Campus Life (Princeton University Press)
- The model minority is losing patience
- The real reasons the U.S. became less racist toward Asian Americans
- The White Space–Elijah Anderson