This week we sat down with Dr. Mary Kate Blake, Assistant Professor of Sociology and Criminology from Valparaiso University, for a rundown of sociology of education. What is the sociology of education? How is education a structural component of society? Why is it so important to the economy and the labor market? We discuss the impacts of high school counselors, the journey of going to college, and of course, what education is like during the time of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Sociology of education, college, labor market, COVID-19
- Dr. Mary Kate Blake’s Twitter handle is @marykateblake1. Follow her!
- Dr. Blake’s article in the Sociology of Education Journal about school counselors.
- She mentioned Dr. Lauren Rivera as a scholar who looks at how people with degrees from elite institutions fare better on the job market in her book, Pedigree: How Elite Students Get Elite Jobs.
- A couple school intervention programs she mentioned were…
- Book recommendations at the end….
- Schools and Society: A Sociological Approach to Education (Ballantine & Spade)
- Education and Society: An Introduction to Key Issues in the Sociology of Education (Domina et al)
- Ghosts in the Schoolyard: Racism and School Closings on Chicago’s South Side (Ewing)
- Paying for the Party: How College Maintains Inequality (Armstrong & Hamilton)