Guns are a hot button topic. They are imbued with politics, religion, masculinity, danger, safety, emotions, and more. Ellen was lucky enough to sit down with Dr. Benjamin Dowd-Arrow, Visiting Assistant Professor of Public Health at Florida State University, and talk about the role firearms play in American society today. A trained medical sociologist, Dr. Dowd-Arrow helps us break down why guns are seen as a public health concern, and explains how the values we attach to firearms have evolved over the past 50 years. Tune in here to learn more!
Firearms, guns, culture, America, public health
- Find Dr. Dowd-Arrow on Twitter here.
- Here is his Google Scholar listing.
- Wanna fall down the Wikipedia hole of NRA leader Wayne LaPierre?
- What effect did the Sandy Hook massacre have on the politics of guns? Check out this article from The Hill.
- Here’s an article from NPR about the current investigation by the Attorney General of New York into the operations of the NRA
- And here’s a Wikipedia hole for Florida NRA queen bee Marion Hammer.
- Ellen and Ben talked on Nov. 14, 2020, as the MAGA Millions March was occurring.
- An interesting article about the anti-vax movement in the U.S. from the New York Times.
- Here are Ben’s articles:
- Gun Ownership and Fear (open access!)
- Happiness is a Warm Gun? Gun ownership and happiness in the United States (also open access!)
- Ellen mentioned “No Compromise,” a podcast from NPR about the new wing of “no compromise” gun rights activists.
- Ben mentioned that the Duke Center for Firearms Law is a good source for gun legislation.
- Ben recommended the following sources for those interested in learning more:
- Get a private jet membership from Costco!