Is the COVID-19 pandemic the death of tourism? Is the Venetian in Vegas authentic? We have a guest episode for you today with Marta Soligo, who will take us on a tour of the sociology of tourism, the creation of culture, celebrity deaths, dark tourism, and much more. Even though tourism may be for leisure and relaxation, it remains one of the largest money making industry for many economies and cultures that have had to turn to commercialization to survive. COVID-19 brings interesting implications with the sudden immobilization of people, but what does the future hold? Join us to learn more!
Tourism, death tourism, celebrity deaths, culture
- How Bad Was 2020 for Tourism? Look at the Numbers.
- International tourist numbers could fall 60-80% in 2020, UNWTO reports.
- UNWTO Tourism Data Dashboard
- 2020: Worst Year in Tourism History with 1 Billion Fewer International Arrivals
- Some of Marta’s publications
- Max Weber’s Types of Rationality: Cornerstones for the Analysis of Rationalization Processes in History
- The McDonaldization of Society: Into the Digital Age (Ritzer 2018)
- Will Hawaii Finally Be Able To Break Its Dependence On Tourism?
- Staged Authenticity: Arrangement of Social Space in Tourist Settings (MacCannel 1973)
- Paradise Laborers: Hotel Work in the Global Economy (Adler 2004)
- How to be a better tourist (BBC)
- Occupy Venice: ‘We are the alternative to the death of the city’
- Cemetery tourism: an ethical traveller’s guide to graveyards
- The Beatles – Strawberry Fields Forever
- Dark tourism: why murder sites and disaster zones are proving popular
- Is ‘Dark Tourism’ OK?
- Dark tourism, explained
- Michael Jackson’s Thriller jacket sells for $1.8m at auction
- Dark Tourist on Netflix
- Chernobyl and the dangerous ground of ‘dark tourism’
- The popularity of the “Joker Stairs” highlights the problem with movie tourism
- The Sociology of Tourism: Approaches, Issues, and Findings (Cohen 1984)
- Hosts and Guests: The Anthropology of Tourism (Smith 1989)
- The Tourist Gaze: Leisure and Travel in Contemporary Societies (Urry 1990)
- Driving While Black: African American Travel and the Road to Civil Rights (Sorin 2020)
- Driving While Black (PBS Documentary)
- Black Skiing, Everyday Racism, and the Racial Spatiality of Whiteness (Harrison 2013)
- Does Tourism Reduce Poverty in Sub-Saharan African Countries? (Folarin & Adeniyi 2019)
- Tourism, Racism and the UK Afro-Caribbean Diaspora (Stephenson 2003)
- The unspeakable whiteness of volunteer tourism (Henry 2018)
- Coronavirus: Wild animals enjoy freedom of a quieter world
- The water in Venice, Italy’s canals is running clear amid the COVID-19 lockdown — take a look
- Find Marta online!