Penn and Ellen are avid fans of Bon Appetit’s YouTube channel. ‘Gourmet Makes,’ ‘Back to Back Chef,’ ‘It’s Alive with Brad’, and that one where Chris recreates dishes blind-folded– WE LOVE THEM ALL. But at the start of June, it was revealed that there is shocking inequality in Bon Appetit: white chefs appearing in videos were being paid for their time, while chefs of color were not, and leadership was engaging in other racist practices. So, we had to get together for a breakaway and talk about this drama, and how the culinary industry is rife with inequality. Tune in here!
Bon Appetit, chefs, cooking, culinary, food, food media, inequality, media, racism, YouTube
- Here’s a link to Bon Appetit’s YouTube channel that Penn and Ellen are huge fans of:
- Here’s an overview of everything that happened at Bon Appetit.
- News about Bon Appétit editor-in-chief Adam Rapoport resigning at the insistence of Sohla.
- Here are some data sources on the salaries of executive chefs.
- Article about Alex Delaney’s confederate flag cake. Never a good decision to do a confederate flag annnnnything!
- Some of the insightful responses from fellow Bon Appetit test kitchen stars about the culture at BA.
- The Atlantic article, “The Table Stays White.”
- Bon Appetit’s response to the backlash over their “You’re Eating Pho Wrong” video featuring a White chef.
- Yup yup, it’s THAT Michelin tire company that runs the Michelin Guide!
- Check out Penn’s recommended podcast, The Racist Sandwich, which is no longer releasing new episodes, but still is packed with useful topics!
- And here are some of our fave BA YouTube stars’ Instagrams, where most of their personal statements are posted