The Indian caste system is regularly brought up in sociology courses as an example of a social structure that prevents mobility. But what if that’s not always the case? We are joined by the soon-to-be-Dr. Navjotpal Kaur to discuss how class, land ownership, and masculinity influence which castes are dominant, specifically in the northern State of Punjab. Tune in to learn about how men in the Jatt caste perform their social identities, and how these performances impact communities in Punjab and Canada!
Caste, class, masculinity, stratification, identity
- Follow soon-to-be-Dr. Navjotpal Kaur on Twitter!
- Check out the Qualitative Research Lab – Global South here!
- You can check out our other episode about hegemonic masculinities with Dr. Dan Cassino here!
- We talk about the Jatt caste in the Punjab State of India.
- Here’s a video from Jatt singer Sidhu Moosewala.
- Nav mentioned several scholars:
We discussed vaccine passports, which you can read about here!