“If you wanna be my lover, you have got to–” listen to this breakaway episode! Today, Penn and Ellen get together to talk about all things girl power, from the #Girlboss movement to feuds between celebrity women (which scream, “Georg Simmel’s concept of dyads!”) to how some women don’t want to be called “female.” Tune in here to learn more, and find out which Spice Girl Penn and Ellen wanted to be growing up. Also, send us a rating when you have time, and be sure to subscribe!
Social movement, girl boss, feminism, girl power, female empowerment, culture
- The Sheryl Crow/Taylor Swift controversy
- An essay on the topic of calling women “females,” from Jezebel’s Kara Brown, titled “The Problem with Calling Women ‘Females’”
- Simone de Beauvoir’s crazy famous book, The Second Sex
- A quick summary of Georg Simmel’s concepts of a dyad and triad
- Ariana Grande, Miley Cyrus and Lana Del Rey’s music video for “Don’t Call Me Angel” from the recent reboot of Charlie’s Angels, in case you want to see Lana Del Rey’s logistical and engineering prowess
- Trailer for the new reboot of Charlie’s Angels. Ellen saw the film and would give a solid C.
- And of course the trailer for the 2nd reboot of Charlie’s Angels— the Angels of OUR childhood, which Ellen saw and would give a A++.
- The Wikipedia page for Sophia Amoruso, who coined the phrase #Girlboss and has published a book and created a TV show using the hashtag