The music industry is a fascinating setting to understand the power of pop culture AND political economy. (Yup, like that Karl Marx kinda of political economy!) So Dr. David Arditi joins us to explore how power and institutions influence the music we listen to, and the art that musicians create. We discuss self-censorship, Soundcloud, commercialization, Bhad Bhabie, and more! Tune in here, and go check out Dr. Arditi’s book ‘Getting Signed: Record Contracts, Musicians, and Power in Society’!
Popular culture, music industry, political economy, commercialization
- Check out Dr. David Arditi’s website and social media here:
- Website: https://mentis.uta.edu/explore/profile/david-arditi or his other independently run website https://musicdetour.uta.edu/musicdetour/#!/index
- Twitter: @david_arditi
- Check out previous episodes from The Social Breakdown as primers for this episode!
- We mentioned his new book Getting Signed: Record Contracts, Musicians, and Power in Society from Palgrave-MacMillan
- Dr. Arditi mentioned the documentary, “Beyond Beats and Rhymes.”
- Omar mentioned the Netflix show, Social Distancing
- Here are Dr. Arditi’s recommended readings for those interested in our conversation:
- Ellen asked Dr. Arditi about Verzuz, check out these rap battles!