We’re back to the deep and dark web! This week we’re looking at the positive (and innocuous) aspects of the dark web. While it may be a place for illicit trade, the dark web is also a space for free speech and anonymity, and people are taking advantage of this by creating anonymous social networking sites and speaking out (and whistleblowing) on important issues. Tune in to hear us discuss the power and moral implications of being able to be anonymous online!
technology, the dark web, society
- Refresher on what the Surface, Dark, and Deep web is from TechWorm.
- New York Times’ own report on being available on the Tor network
- Robert Gehl’s article on Culture Digitally, “Legitimizing the Dark Web: The New York Times’ Tor Hidden Service” from Nov. 17, 2017
- Robert Gehl’s (2014) article titled “Power/freedom on the Dark Web: A Digital Ethnography of the Dark Web Social Network”
- The Hacker Manifesto
- Guardian article, “The Key Moments from Mark Zuckerberg’s Testimony to Congress”
- 7. Article on social implications of Japanese population w/ graph, “Defusing Japan’s Demographic Time Bomb”
The surface web, deep web, and dark web! What are they? What’s the difference? And what are the social implications of having these different areas of the internet? Since these are such hefty questions, we’ve split this topic into two episodes! In this episode, we’re going to explore the seedy, nefarious side of the dark web: the Silk Road, murder-for-hire, and illicit trafficking. Tune in to learn more about the internet and its many layers!
dark web, internet, technology
“A Beginner’s Guide to Tor: How to Navigate Through the Underground Internet” from Digital Trends
“Legitimizing the Dark Web: The New York Times’ Tor Hidden Service” (By Robert Gehl)
Difference between the Clear/Surface, Deep, and Dark web (By Douglas Karr)
“Playpen: The Story of the FBI’s Unprecedented and Illegal Hacking Operation” (By Mark Rumold)
“Federal Authorities Take Down Backpage.com Being a Haven for Online Prostitution” (By Joseph Tanfani)
- Kendrick Lamar winning the Pulitzer Prize for his album, ‘DAMN’
- Kanye West’s twitter account (in case you want to read his exchange with John Legend)
- Kanye’s song, “Lift Yourself” (the news story).… poopity scoopity! Here’s the song if you want to listen
Below are some good infographics and screenshots of the Dark Web